God said, “You’re being healed.”

Ben Barrentine’s Story

By Bonita Wilborn

“My story began in 1995,” Ben Barrentine of Pisgah said.  “I had the best job I’d ever had.  I was making $30.00 per hour.  I had paid holidays and health care benefits.  Then a year later I began having severe headaches.”

When the headaches persisted, more and more pain medication became necessary, but nothing stopped the pain.  At one point, Ben was taking pain medication that was so strong it made his arms numb, but the headache pain still didn’t stop.  “I was taking as many as 30 shots per week for headaches, and was taking 31 prescription pills per day.  I missed a lot of birthdays and special family events,” Ben said.

Unable to work and unable to function in normal life, Ben had to stay away from his family because light and sound sent piercing pain through his head.  He had to lie in bed as still and quiet as possible, because sudden movement made him nauseous.

“After a long time of being out of work, I was told that I needed to apply for disability.  Although they had been very good to me, there was a limit to what they could continue to do,” Ben remembered.  “So I went on disability.  After I had exhausted all the doctors in this area I was finally sent to a headache clinic in Michigan.  I spent a week there, but they couldn’t figure out what was going on either, so I came home to die.”

Not too long after returning from Michigan, Ben came home one day and had a message on his answering machine.  The message was from a man who told of a woman who had experienced similar headaches, but had found relief by going to a Naturopathic doctor.

With nothing to loose, Ben decided that he’d make an appointment with a Naturopathic doctor.  “I told her that I’d give her 90 days,” Ben said.  “In June, at the end of the 90 days, I went to a see a Doctor of Naturopathic Ministries, in Georgia.  He said, ‘Every disease known to man begins with a negative thought.’  He did some emotional work on me, and then he put his hands on my head and asked me to forgive.  That’s when I started to heal.  God can put the people you need in your life.”

“The doctor encouraged me to walk.  He said walking is very important.  On July 9, 2001, about 4:30am, I was walking about a half mile from home,” Ben continued.  “I noticed a bird in the sky over my head.  It was flying low enough that I could get a good look at it.  It was an odd looking bird, I’d never seen one like it before.  It had a wingspan of about two feet, a very small head and no feet that I could see.  Its squawk was similar to that of a duck.  It spoke to me (squawked), flew in a circle above me, spoke again, and then flew away.  I watched it until it was out of sight.  After that I took about ten steps and God spoke to me.  He said, ‘You’re being healed.’  I couldn’t wait to get home and tell my family.”

Ben continued to go the doctor in Georgia and occasionally saw a doctor in Huntsville.  “Even though I’m a Baptist minister and I have been the pastor of several different local churches,” Ben said, “I had known for about 30 years that God had something for me to do in addition to that, I just didn’t know what it was.”

“ In August of 2001, the doctor in Huntsville suggested that I consider learning how to help other people, the way I was helped,” Ben recalled.  “I was out of work and on disability, I had been sick almost to the point of death, and I felt the leadership of the Lord to purchase the equipment I needed and have the necessary training.  To purchase the equipment it would cost about as much as a new car would have cost at that time.  I prayed and asked God for leadership and some scripture that would help me know what his will was for me.  I knew I’d have to go to the bank and borrow money to buy the equipment.  I just about wore my pickup out that day, trying to find someone who could tell me what to do, but when I finally turned into the bank parking lot, I knew everything would be all right.”

“When I first started I was doing computer testing and did that for a few years with some successes.   I worked in a bedroom of our home,” Ben concluded.  “I was still going to the doctor in Georgia and he had started doing muscle testing on me instead of the computer testing.  I wanted to learn that method as well.  The business grew so much that I needed to build a separate building.  That’s when I ask God to give me some scripture that would help me know what to name the business.  He showed me Malachi 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.  So I named the business ‘Healing In His Wings’.  I’ve since been to Warsaw, Indiana to become a Certified Natural Health Professional.  I work in the name of Jesus because he is our healer.”

Previous articleEssay Winners
Next articleMission to restore mausoleum