By Sherri Blevins
On February 12, 2019, the DeKalb County Commission met. After the meeting was called to order, the minutes of the last meeting were approved.
President Pro-Tem, Chris Kuykendall, welcomed Brandi Liles, spokesperson for Leadership Dekalb, along with several other Leadership DeKalb members to the meeting. Liles spoke to the commission explaining the purpose of the groups visit. She stated that they were learning about local government in action and media operations. Liles invited the commissioners to join the next class of Leadership DeKalb participants that will form in August.
McCamy, Director of the Council on Aging, reported on the activities of the Council highlighting the numerous services the organization provides to DeKalb County seniors. Seniors in Dekalb County have access to a wide variety of free programs that assist with prescription costs, legal advice, weekly meals, transportation, as well as providing weekly activities for seniors to enjoy together. Commissioner Kuykendall urged any seniors that do not know what the organization offers, to contact the center for assistance.
Road Superintendent, Tom Broyles, updated the Commission on the progress of the road department. He stated that road repair is moving slowly at this point due to the rainy weather. Commissioners thanked Superintendent Broyles and his department for all their hard work and dedication.
The Commission then approved the following actions:
• Approved Damage Claim from Ralph Jelks
• Approved a Resolution to Execute the Standard Funding Construction Agreement for Resurfacing County Road 165 &631
• Hired Angie Pass as Deputy Revenue Commissioner
• Hired Amy Hall for the Revenue Department
• Hired Gary Bowen as Part-time Courthouse Security Officer to replace Van Douglas(Retirement)
• Transferred Kevin Woodall from Full-time Patrol Deputy to Full-time Transport Deputy
• Hired Ray Morales as a Full-time Deputy to Replace Kevin Woodall
• Transferred Seth Butler from Full-time Transport Officer to Full-time Corrections Officer
• Promoted Charles Young from Full-time Corrections Officer to Full-time Corrections Sergeant
• Transferred Leah Hitchcock from Full-time Corrections Sergeant to Full-time Corrections Officer
• Accepted the Resignation of Verlon White from the Road Crew
• Accepted the Resignation of Full-time Corrections Officer Giles Phillips
• Hired Regina Wilson as a Full-time Dispatcher to Replace two Part-time Slots
• Accepted the Resignation of Part-time Courthouse Security Officer Stanley Vinson
• Appointed David Smith to the Cherokee Etowah DeKalb Mental Health Board
• Approved the BancorpSouth Resolution for the Purchase and Sale of Sheriff Vehicles
• Terminated the Advanced Disposal Residential Garbage Service Contract Effective June, 2019
• Reappointed William Dalton to the Northeast Alabama Water Board
• Appointed Michael Posey to the DeKalb County Hospital Board to Replace Kyle Pike
• Set February 26,2019 for the Next Meeting Date